The Center For Digital Inclusion Partners In Action - Vignettes of Amazing Transformations


Introduction

The people that you will read about
  have undergone astonishing transformations, 
against tremendous obstacles.

On the second day I was in Rio de Janeiro to interview people for my book, I went to two favelas, Morro dos Macacos and Morro da Providênci. These communities are perched on the hillsides surrounding Rio. Favelas remind me of the severely poverty stricken shantytowns I saw in South Africa shortly after Mandela’s emancipation. The people in these communities built their homes so they don’t resemble the orderly blocks and urban designs you commonly see in cities. They are a series of connected buildings stacked on one anther, which gave me a feeling of a walled-in community. Although about 20,000 to 40,000 people live in each of the favelas we visited - it felt like everything and everyone was in very close in proximity. Up until recently armed drug gangs governed most of these communities. Over the past several years, the Brazilian government has undertaken a large-scale police operation to rid these communities of the drug gangs. The government and businesses have also begun to provide the community access to electricity and other services that were formally the purview of the drug dealers.

On the day we went to the favelas, I was waiting outside of my hotel for Rodrigo (the executive director of CDI) to pick me up. I started to question my decision to go into the favelas because I had heard they were very dangerous places. People warned me that that violence ran rampant in these communities. Fear is not an emotion I generally let into my life, however I must admit I was feeling anxious. Then, this old van with the CDI logo on the side pulled up. When I got inside my energy immediately changed. Rodrigo, Dhaval and Romi welcomed me into the van; they were excited, full of pride and bubbling with energy - it was contagious. Within seconds my anxiety transformed into extremely excitement. I was looking forward to visiting the CDI community centers and learning from the CDI partners and the people in their communities.  

When we got out of the van, people were not only very friendly, they came over to the van and started talking with the CDI team. As we walked through the streets I saw people greeting and connecting with the CDI team. It was evident that CDI had earned the trust and respect of the community members. I also saw people greeting and interacting with each other. I could feel their strong sense of community, something that is missing in most communities I have visited around the world.

What I saw, heard and felt was nothing less than amazing. The people that you will read about in the following vignettes have undergone astonishing personal transformations, against unimaginable obstacles. They did not stop there, they went on to help transform the lives of others and lift the hope and spirit of their communities. These CDI partners are extraordinary people - people with tremendous vision, passion and commitment.

Inside the CDI Centers were bustling with activities. In one room I saw people ages 8 to 78 working alongside each other on the computers. I asked for permission to interrupt and I asked them. Why are you here?  One man said “The more I can lean about Information Technology the better chance I have at getting a job” An older woman had a completely different motivation, her granddaughter was computer literate so she decided to come to CDI to learn how to use the computer. Her motivation was to keep up with her granddaughter.

As I walked around the centers I saw entire families learning. In one room I found a mother learning business skills. She wanted to become a small business owner. In the next room her young daughter was a beginner, learning to use the computer. In another room I found a service center. They were selling services to the community including: printing, scanning and marketing materials. They were downloading driver license tests and helping people research health issues on line. In another room they sold computer repair services.  This was a bustling learning center and micro-enterprise - an amazing example of self-empowerment, self-sustainability and self-management.

At Instituto Central do Povo (“ICP”), the CDI Center in Morro da Providência I went into their library where 12 children were reading.  When I was introduced to them they got very excited that I had come all the way from the US to learn about their CDI Center. I asked the children “What is your favorite book?  One young girl, about eight years shouted out, “The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho” the other children got excited and joined in, all talking at the same time about how they loved the Alchemist. I was shocked! First, to see these young children reading a book that is full of sophisticated philosophical lessons and second, to see that they were reading one of my all time favorite books. I read the Alchemist several years ago, it is a wonderful fable about a young man in pursuit of making his hopes and dreams come true. When I asked the children if they liked coming to the Center, one of the children shouted,  “This is the best place in the world”.

In the courtyard outside of the library was a display of the art the children had made. 2009 was the year of France in Brazil and in tribute the children made a sculpture out of used recycled bottle caps. The sculpture was beautiful. Next to the art exhibit was a small store, a microenterprise where ladies were selling products made by community people.

All of the learning, excitement and energy I witnessed at the CDI Centers are the result of the partnership between CDI and their remarkable community partners. These visionary leaders are having a deep and sustainable positive impact on people’s lives in communities that many people would deem hopeless. I am excited to introduce you to Wanderson, Ronaldo, Maria and Leco. They are powerful DreamMakers from the favelas of Rio. I am deeply moved by these people. They have touched my heart and stirred my spirit. They inspire me to stay strong and courageous in my personal journey to stay true to my vision and values.

Next, I will share a vignette about Wanderson da Silva Skrock. Wanderson was a former member of a drug gang who transformed his life against unimaginable obstacles. Today he is making a tremendous contribution to his community.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is a DreamMaker?

Ronaldo Monteiro - transformed his life from serial kidnapper to a phenomenal DreamMaker